Temporary road closures
The Council has the powers to issue Temporary Road Closure Orders under the provision of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847. This Road Traffic Regulation Act specifically deals with public celebrations such as street parties, carnivals, parades and similar events.
Closures and diversions of the highway in relation to maintenance works are controlled by West Sussex County Council.
Who can apply to close the road
Anyone can apply for a road closure for a special or community event. Applications should be made at least 6 weeks in advance to enable full consultation with Sussex Police, West Sussex County Council and local Town or Parish Council.
Requests must be submitted by application form and should be accompanied by a map of the proposed closure and diversion routes where applicable. For large closures involving different roads a traffic management plan may be required. You can now apply online via our secure application form.
Public liability insurance of £10 million is required for all types of temporary road closures (except simple street parties) in order to indemnify us against any claim. A copy of your insurance must accompany the application form.
The Order will be subject to:
- Reasonable pedestrian access being available at all times.
- Vehicle access for emergencies being available at all times.
- Road closure and diversion signs being put up need approval of the Highway Authority and are to be removed at the end of the temporary closure .
- The organiser is responsible for stewarding the event .
- The organiser is responsible for clearing the highway immediately after conclusion of the event and for any damage which may have occurred to the highway, including street furniture during the entire period of preparation, event and clearing up be reported.
- Street fire hydrants must not be obstructed.
- No assistance can be given by the Police in removal of vehicles from the closed length of road during the preparation of the event
- No claims will be entertained by the County Council (as highway authority), the District Council, the Town or Parish Council or any statutory undertaker in respect of any accident, damage or injury sustained as a result of the event. The onus is on the organiser to obtain the necessary insurance cover
- The organiser is responsible for informing all those houses/businesses affected by the Closure Order, especially those directly fronting on to the closed road/s, in writing at least 14 days prior to the event.
WSCC Highways Department
Northern Area office
Tel: 01243 642105
Southern Area Office
Tel: 01243 642105
Sussex Police Road Policing Unit
Haywards Heath Police Station
Bolnore Road, Haywards Heath