Listed Buildings

There are over 1,000 listed buildings in Mid Sussex. These are buildings of special architectural or historic interest.

How do I find out if a building is Listed?

Information on whether a particular building is listed is provided on the English Heritage website, in the National Heritage List for England. The National Heritage List for England is a searchable database of all nationally-designated heritage assets including Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments, Registered Parks and Gardens, Registered Battlefields and Protected Wreck Sites, and can be accessed at the National Heritage List for England.

What Requires Listed Building Consent? 

Listed buildings are protected under the Planning (Listed buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 and the listing covers both the interior and exterior of the building and also any structure within the curtilage (the enclosed area immediately surrounding a house or dwelling) dating from before 1st July 1948. Listed building consent is required for any alterations which affect the character of the listed building and work requiring consent can range from removing an internal feature to adding an extension. When carrying out repairs, it is advisable to appoint a professionally qualified person with experience of listed buildings to act on your behalf and supervise the work.

The type of work which normally requires Listed Building Consent includes:

  • Replacement windows
  • Stripping out internal plaster work
  • Repairs not carried out in matching materials
  • Exposing timbers and brickwork previously hidden behind plaster or limewash
  • Removal or alteration to internal features such as doors, cupboards, panelling and fireplaces
  • Changes to the plan form of internal rooms
  • New plumbing (where this has an impact on the listed building)
  • Painting of unpainted surfaces (where this will have a visual impact and affect the character)
  • Extensions and any demolition

This list is for guidance only and if there is any doubt as to whether Listed Building Consent is required you should contact the Planning Department (see the Listed Building application on the application forms page) before work is started. It is an offence to carry out any work that affects the character of the building without obtaining the necessary consent from the Council.

Can I make an application to get a building listed?

Yes, this can be done on-line via English Heritage using their online nomination form.