Temporary Event Notices

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc (specific/one-off) event in England or Wales, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to the local licensing authority (Mid Sussex District Council) no later than ten working days (or five working days for a late notice) before the event . If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

TENs can be used to authorise the sale of alcohol, regulated entertainment or late night refreshment within any premises, whether it is a school hall, village common, a public house or a private house. The fee is £21.

Please see the Guidance notes for Temporary Event Notices, TENs Regulated Entertainment Guidance, and Environmental Protection TENS advice for further information.

How do I serve a TEN?


*Notifying online means you do not have to send a notice to the Chief Officer of Sussex Police or the Environmental Health Team.

Paper Notice

If you do not have a credit/debit card, please print, complete and send the form below to the Licensing Team, enclosing a cheque for payment (made payable to Mid Sussex District Council).

A copy of the form also needs to be sent to:

  • Chief Officer of Police, Licensing Officer, Worthing Durrington Police Station, Centenary House

    Durrington Lane, Worthing, BN13 2PQ

  • Team Leader - Environmental Protection Team, Environmental Health, Mid Sussex District Council, Oaklands, Oaklands Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 1SS

You should hear from us within 9 working days, if you do not please contact licensing@midsussex.gov.uk or phone 01444 477419.

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event.

Clear working days do not include the day the Council receives your application or the day of the event.

NOTE: A 'working day' is defined as any day other than a Saturday, a Sunday or a day which is a bank holiday.


Your event must:

  • have fewer than 500 people at all times – including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours (7 days)

You must be at least 18 to apply for a TEN.

Number of notices you can apply for

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 21 days.

If you’re organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.


The Council can’t refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there’s an objection, the Council’s licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn’t needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late TEN, the notice won’t be valid and you can’t hold the event.

Conditions may be transferred to TEN from a Premises Licence / Club Premises Certificate if the authority considers it appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives.

Late Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

The latest you can apply for a ‘late TEN’ is 5 clear working days before the event (but not earlier than 9 clear working days).

If you don’t hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.

Where the Licensing Authority receives an objection from either the Police or Environmental Health to a Late TEN, no hearing will be held. A Counter Notice will be issued against the TEN to prevent the licensable elements of the event from going ahead.


If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.

You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.

Fines and penalties

You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. Tacit Consent means the the event could be approved before the notification is processed. This however is not the case for TENs as it is in the public interest that the authority must process your notice before it can be granted.

 If you have not heard from Mid Sussex DC within 9 working days, please contact licensing@midsussex.gov.uk or telephone 01444 477419.