Before issuing an applicant with a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Drivers licence the Council must be satisfied that the applicant is a fit and proper person to be licensed. They must have held a full UK or EU Drivers Licence for at least one year.
In determining if an applicant is a fit and proper person the council make various checks these include
- An Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Check
- A Medical with the applicants own Doctor (This is to group 2 HGV drivers standard)
- Providing two Character referees
- Passing the council local knowledge test.
- Passing a Driving Standards Agency Driving Test
- A check with the DVLA regarding your driving licence history
Applicants with previous criminal records and endorsements on their DVLA Drivers licence are not automatically barred from being licensed although certain convictions may render you unsuitable to be licensed. (If you have any concerns with regards to any previous convictions that you believe may affect your ability to be licensed please contact the Licensing Officer for advice).
A driver application pack containing all the information and forms required to become a licensed driver can be downloaded form our website - see the Taxi Licensing page, from the main Oaklands reception area or by telephoning the Customer Contact Centre.
In order to become licensed an applicant must submit the following documents
- A completed Hackney Carriage Driver or Private Hire Driver application form.
- Their DVLA Drivers Licence (To include the photo card if photo licence is held)
- A Medical examination Form completed by their own doctor.
- Two suitable character references.
- An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service form
- The appropriate Fee
- A Passport sized photograph.
- Driving Standards Agency Pass Certificate
- A certificate of good conduct if you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years
Please note that Disclosure and Barring Service certificates and medicals are only valid for 6 months from their issue dates.
Once a person has been licensed they will be issued with a paper licence, they will also be issued with an identity badge which is colour coded, with blue badges for Hackney Carriage Drivers and yellow badges for Private Hire Drivers. The badge will have details of the Licence holder and the licence number along with the validity dates plus the type of Licence and a photograph of the holder. They will also be issued with a secondary badge which has only the licence number displayed on it. This badge must be displayed on the inside of the windscreen of any licensed vehicle being driven by the holder.
Taxi Policy Document
Telephone: 01444 477335