On 1st October 2013 The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 was introduced. In order for anyone to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer they need a licence. Trading without a licence is a criminal offence. These licences will last for three years.
There are two types of licence specified in the Act:
- Site licence
All the sites where a licensee carries on business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified, and a site manager has to be named for each site. This licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.
- Collector’s licence
This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing local authority. It does not allow the collector to operate in any other local authority area, A separate licence has to be obtained from each local authority the collector wishes to operate in. The licence does not authorise the licensee to operate a site, to do so they will need a site licence from the relevant local authority.
It should be noted that a dealer can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority area. They have to decide whether they are going to have a site or a mobile licence in any one area. They cannot hold both a site and mobile collector’s licence from the same council (s2(9)).
- Licence Fees and Registration charges
- Application for a Scrap Metal Dealer's Licence
- Photograph Declaration form
- The Scrap Metal Dealer's Act 2013
- Further Guidance Notes
- All applicants must complete an application form.
- The application form must be accompanied by the relevant fee.
- All applicants must supply a Disclosure and Barring certificate. This certificate must be dated within 3 months of the application date.
- Persons involved in a company as a director, partner or company secretary must also supply DBS Certificates.
- Applicants for site licences must provide a site plan.
- Applicants for collector’s licences must provide a passport style photograph and endorsement statement.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 28 days please contact Licensing on email@example.com or Tel: 01444 477419.
Tel: 01444 477419
If you wish to report a vehicle dismantler or Scrap yard that you believe is operating illegally without a licence you can do so on the Motor Vehicle Dismantlers Association website.