Premises Licence Guidance Notes

When would I need to apply for a New Premises Licence?

If a new premises proposes to provide the following licensable activities, a premises licence will be required:

  • Retail Sale of Alcohol (On and Off the Premises)
  • Regulated Entertainment (Recorded Music, Live Music, Dancing, Provision of Facilities for Dancing or Making Music, Indoor Sporting Events, Performance of Plays, Exhibition of Films, Boxing and Wrestling)
  • Late Night Refreshment (Supply of hot food or hot drink for consumption either on or off the premises between 11pm and 5am)

Who can apply for a Premises Licence?

Any individual (aged at least 18) or business, recognised clubs, charities, a proprietor of educational establishments and health service bodies may apply for a premises licence.

How do I apply for a Premises Licence?

An application for a premises licence must be made to the relevant licensing authority, that is, the authority within whose area the premises is situated. To make an application you must submit:

  • a completed application form
  • a plan of the premises in the prescribed form
  • a form containing the consent of the proposed designated premises supervisor (if applicable)
  • the required fee

Are there any other requirements?

Yes, the following need to be completed;

  1. Advertise your application - Advert Guidance and Template
  2. Submit a copy of the application form, plan (if necessary) and relevant documents to the Responsible Authorities on the same day as the application is given to the licensing authority. This allows the responsible bodies to make representations for or against your application.
    If an application is made online the Licensing Authority will ensure the Responsible Authorities receive a copy.
  3. Designated Premises Supervisor - any premises where alcohol is supplied under a premises licence must have a designated premises supervisor (DPS). 
    The DPS is required to be a personal licence holder and can be a named designated premises supervisor at more than one premises. The DPS will not necessarily be the premises licence holder and does not need to be on the premises at all times. It is expected that they will be the point of contact for the premises at all times for licensing authorities, police or fire services if problems occur at the premises. If the person named as the designated premises supervisor on the application form does not hold a personal licence and alcohol is supplied on the premises, an offence will be committed.
  4. Plan of the premises - The plan must contain the following:
    • The boundary of the building and any external and internal walls
    • The location of access and egress points
    • The location of escape routes from the premises
    • The area which will be used for licensable activity(ies)
    • Show all fixed structures (including furniture) or similar objects temporarily in a fixed location
    • In a case where the premises includes a stage or raised area, the location and height of each stage or area relative to the floor.
    • In a case where the premises includes any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts, the location of the steps, stairs, elevators or lifts.
    • In the case where the premises include any room or rooms containing public conveniences, the location of the room or rooms.
    • The location and type of any fire safety and any other safety equipment including, if applicable, marine safety equipment and the location of a kitchen, if any, on the premises.
    • Plans, for written and electronic applications, will not be required to be submitted in any particular scale, but they must be in a format which is “clear and legible in all material respects”, i.e. they must be accessible and provide sufficient detail for the licensing authority to be able to determine the application, including the relative size of any features relevant to the application. There is no requirement for plans to be professionally drawn as long as they clearly show all the prescribed information..

What happens if a representation is received against the application?

If the licensing authority considers that the representations are relevant, it must hold a hearing to consider those representations (unless all agree that this is unnecessary).
The licensing authority will then have choices as to how it proceeds depending upon what is necessary for the promotion of the licensing objectives. It may:

  • decide to grant or vary the licence in the same terms as it was applied for;
  • decide that it is necessary to refuse to issue or vary the licence;
  • decide to grant or vary the licence, but to modify the conditions;
  • exclude from the scope of the licence a licensable activity.