Building Notice Application

Building Notice

This option cannot be used for any work involving work places but is suitable for more minor or domestic work such as:

  • Simple structural alterations
  • Drainage alterations
  • Garage conversions
  • Underpinning work
  • Installing a bathroom
  • Re-roofing work
  • Detached garages/outbuildings
  • Installing a heating appliance and/or chimney flue
  • Installing replacement windows/doors
  • Electrical installations 

The benefits of using a Building Notice are:

  • It is ideal to allow minor work to start quickly
  • Drawings are not required when making the application, but certain details may be requested at a later stage.

How to submit a Building Notice

You can submit your Building Control application online using our Building Control application e-form.

Alternatively, if you are already registered with Submit-a-Plan you can access our application forms from this application forms for building notices direct link.

You may also submit a copy of the completed Building Notice application form which we have provided for you to print. This should be signed and returned together with: 

  • The relevant Building Notice Charge and;
  • A site location plan (1:1250) unless the work is internal only;
  • Any drawings if they have been produced.


Your attention is drawn to the requirements of the Party Wall Act 1996 which may affect your proposals. You must notify all affected neighbours if work you are intending to carry out falls within the Act.

This may include:

  • work on an existing wall shared with another property
  • building on the boundary with a neighbouring property
  • excavating near a neighbouring property

A guidance booklet on The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is available on the Communities and Local Government website.

Further Information

You are also advised to read this guidance leaflet on un-mapped sewers which may affect your proposal.

About Submit-a-Plan

Guide To Extending Your Home