Making an Application

Building Regulation approval is required before building work can start if it falls within the scope of the Building Regulations.

Planning permission may also be required.

Most people choose to appoint a professional person (e.g. architect, surveyor) to do this on their behalf, especially when detailed plans need to be prepared.

There are two options available:

Full Plans Application

This is required on all commercial buildings and your plans are checked for compliance.
Major work such as new buildings, extensions, major structural alterations and loft conversions need this type of application.

Building Notice Application

This is for smaller, domestic projects such as installing a bathroom, electrical installations or re-roofing work.

As well as traditional paper applications, we are now able to accept electronic submissions and payments via the web portal at

Submit-a-Plan enables anyone, with access to the web, to submit Building Control applications electronically to Local Authorities across the country.
The main benefits are:

1. Free of charge to use
2. Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week
3. No printing or postage required
4. To register and submit applications is simple
5. Applications can be managed and tracked online

Submit-A-Plan guidance

Further information

Submitting a Building Regulations application

Guide to extending your home