Demolition is dealt with under the Building Act 1984, Section 80. Generally, it requires six weeks prior notice to be given to the Council's Building Control Section before demolition begins.

The Council will visit the site to assess risks and ascertain how you will protect adjoining properties, services and the public.

Demolition work must also comply with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 and a health and safety plan produced by the principal contractor.

Please note that for certain types of buildings, if a developer wishes to undertake demolition works which are not included within the planning application for the site, an application must be submitted to Planning to determine if approval is required.

Submitting a notice


By Post:

Building Control                                 
Mid Sussex District Council
Oaklands Road,
Haywards Heath
RH16 1SS

Please remember to give a copy of this notice to:

a) The occupier of any adjacent building 
b) Gas Utilities 
c) Electricity Utilities

There may be some work which we will ask you to carry out as part of the demolition.
We will notify you of this in a counter notice.


You do not need to submit a demolition notice for the following:

  • Where you are complying with a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957
  • For internal work in occupied buildings
  • Small buildings with a volume of less than 1750 cubic feet
  • Greenhouses, conservatories, sheds or prefabricated garages attached to a larger building,
  • Agricultural buildings.

When can I start demolition work?

When you have received a letter of acceptance or a counter notice from us, or if you have not heard from us within 6 weeks of serving the demolition notice on us.

You should also wait for replies from anyone you have sent a copy of your notice to and ensure you have all other appropriate consents before starting.

Further information

RICS Demolition Guidance