• Public Highway: The road gullies are the responsibility of the Highway Authority, West Sussex County Council, as are the drains connecting gullies to a public sewer.
  • Public surface water sewers are the responsibility of either Southern Water, Thames Water, or where it is a designated highway drain, West Sussex County Council.
  • Drains: The responsibility for drains rests with the occupier and owner of the building served by the drain.
  • Sewers: From the 1 October 2011 the sewerage undertaker is responsible for all sewers, including those that were previously classed as 'private'.

To make an appointment to view drainage maps at the Council offices contact the Corporate Estates & Facilities team on (01444) 477005 or Email drainage@midsussex.gov.uk

Flooding Emergencies

West Sussex County Council Highways Tel 01243 642105


Calls to 0845 numbers attract a pence per minute charge on top of your phone company's access charge. Please contact the company concerned to find out their charges

Southern Water
Tel: 0845 278 0845 (24 hr service) or
Email: customerservices@southernwater.co.uk

Thames Water
Tel: 0845 9200 800 (24 hr service)