Public Spaces Protection Orders

The majority of dog owners in Mid Sussex are responsible, pick up their dogs' mess and keep them under proper control. However, there is a small minority who don't and this can create problems for other site users.  To address these concerns relating to dog control, Mid Sussex District Council have introduced Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPO's) under the Anti Social, Crime and Policing Act 2014. 

Dog Control Public Spaces Protection Orders

A summary of the Dog Control PSPO's are found below:

  • Dog Fouling
    In order to reduce the amount of dog fouling in Mid Sussex, people having charge and control of dogs are required to clean up their dogs' mess. The Park Rangers will have the authority to enforce dog fouling on all MSDC owned land across the district.


  • Dog Exclusion
    To prevent people or the dogs themselves being injured as a result of sharing activity space, dogs are excluded from all fenced children's play areas and fenced recreational areas such as tennis courts, bowling greens and multi activity areas owned by Mid Sussex District Council.


  • Dogs on Lead by Direction
    In order to stop a loose dog disrupting sporting or community events or disturbing local wildlife, dogs must be placed on a lead if requested to do so by an authorised officer. This order applies to Mid Sussex District Council owned land on which formal sports and community events regularly take place, and all designated nature reserves.


Site Maps for each PSPO

Dog Fouling - Burgess Hill parish area

Dog Fouling - East Grinstead parish area

Dog Fouling - Haywards Heath parish area

Dog Fouling - other parishes

Dog Exclusion

Dogs on Lead by Direction

Maximum Number of Dogs

Fixed Penalty Notices

To enforce the above Orders Mid Sussex District Council can issue Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) of £75. The fine is reduced to £50 if payment is made within 10 working days. Failure to pay the FPN may result in prosecution with a maximum fine of £1000.

What do I do if I see someone who is breaking a Dog Control PSPO?

If you witness anyone breaking the Dog Control PSPO legislation on council owned land please contact the Park Rangers on 01444 477561 or email Please give us as much detail as you can including: name of site, description of dog and dog owner, date and time the incident was witnessed, any other information such as, is it a regular occurrence, description of car etc. Please do not approach the person yourself.

Other dog complaints

Please contact the Environmental Health Team if you have a complaint relating to noisy dogs. Tel: 01444 477292

For Stray and Lost dogs, more information can be found on the Dogs web pages.

For dog fouling on Highway Land, please contact the Street Services Officer

Please contact the Police if you have a dangerous dog complaint. The police non-emergency number is 101.

Please contact the Refuse and Recycling team if you have a complaint or query about dog bins: 01444 477440


Park Rangers
Tel: 01444 477561

Street Services Officer
Tel: 01444 477072