Dog Control deals with stray dogs, lost dogs and dog fouling on public highways and public rights of way.

The Park Rangers deal with dog fouling on land owned by Mid Sussex District Council such as parks, nature reserves and also Dog Control Public Spaces Protection Orders


Have you found a stray dog?

Return to owner if possible or contact Mid Sussex District Council who provide a facility to collect stray dogs as soon as practicable.

If you find a stray dog during the day (Monday to Thursday 08.45-17.15 & Friday 08.45-16.15) -

Telephone: (01444) 477041

If you find a stray dog out of office hours the arrangement to collect the dog is different.
Out of office hours are Monday to Friday 17.15-08.45 & Friday to Monday 16.15-08.45 plus bank holidays - Telephone: 0845 602 1035

You can also report a found dog online.

DO NOT sell, give away or abandon any dog you find.

All road accidents involving dogs should be reported to the Police within 24 hours.

Have you lost your dog?

If you have lost your dog, please report your contact details, together with a description of the dog and the date, time and place lost.

During the daytime
(Monday to Thursday 08.45-17.15 & Friday 08.45-16.15) - Telephone: (01444) 477041

Out of office hours
(Monday to Friday 17.15-08.45 & Friday to Monday 16.15-08.45 plus bank holidays) - Telephone: 0845 602 1035

You can also report a lost dog online.

Fees regarding the collection of stray dogs can be found in our Stray Dog charge schedule

Microchipping and Identification

The easiest way of ensuring the safe return of your dog is to provide your dog with a collar, tag and/or microchip.

Under the Control of Dog Order 1992, every dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address of the owner attached and ideally a telephone number.

For information about microchipping, please contact your local veterinary clinic.


Contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999 to report cruelty, or an animal in distress, or if they are being used for illegal purposes such as dog fighting. Please visit the RSPCA website for further information and guidance.

Dangerous Dogs 

It is a criminal offence to allow any dog to be dangerously out of control in a public or a private place, where the dog has no right to be and any complaints should be reported to the Police.

If you have been bitten by a dog, first seek medical treatment, then contact the Police on 101 or 01273 470101.

Attacks by dogs on other dogs are covered by the Dogs Act 1871. This civil legislation can be used by members of the public to take private action where their dog is attacked by another.

For further guidance please read Dog Attack information for the public