Who is to be involved
The public consultation is open to all who are interested. A number of groups will be directly informed and asked for their view. These are:
- Local Authorities that border Mid Sussex District Council
- West Sussex County Council
- The Members of the Council
- The hackney carriage and private hire trade licensed by the Council
- Parish and Town Councils
- Sussex Police
- The Members of Parliament for the District
- Social Services Child Protection Office
- DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency)
- Local Bus and Rail operators
- Organisations representing local businesses
- Members of the public via the Council’s web site, the local libraries and help points
- Age UK
- Women’s Institute
- Fawcett Society
- Local disability groups
Elected District Councillors will be involved throughout the process through:
- The Scrutiny Committee for Leisure and Community – (any District Councillor not sitting on the committee can attend)
- Full Council (consists of all District Councillors)
- Councillors can respond during the public consultation period.
To be added to our database of groups contact Licensing@midsussex.gov.uk or phone (01444) 477419. All information received will be treated in accordance with Data Protection Legislation.
Why people are being involved?
Mid Sussex District Council introduced a Taxi Licensing Policy on 1st October 2012. Although there is no statutory requirement to do so, the Policy states that it will be reviewed every three years.
This consultation takes into account amendments to the policy that include;
- Changes to the length of driver and operator licences
- Changes to Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
- Requirement for drivers of LPG powered vehicles to prove LPG registration
- Minor changes to title names of other agencies.
The draft policy was reviewed by the Scrutiny Committee and Leisure and Community on the 23rd June 2015.
When people will be involved?
- Public consultation on draft Statement of Licensing Policy – scheduled July/August 2015 (for eight-weeks). There will be a public consultation for eight weeks in July and August on the draft document once it is approved by the Scrutiny Committee for Leisure and Community.
- Amendments after the public consultation - September/October 2015. A final draft, taking into account amendments from the consultation, will be presented to the Scrutiny Committee for Leisure and Community for their approval before final approval by Full Council.
- Final Statement agreed for adoption – scheduled November 2015. It is anticipated that the Taxi Licensing Policy will be presented to Council in November 2015 for adoption on the 1st December 2015
Further details of the timetable are available at www.midsussex.gov.uk/sci
How people will be involved?
The consultation will be open to all and we will seek to inform and receive comment from the widest possible range of the community. We will:
- Provide details and documentation on the Council’s website.
- Provide hard copies of the document for consultation in the following places:
- Help points;
- District Council office
- Letters or emails will be sent to all organisations listed in section 1 above2.
What happens to the results?
The results from this consultation will be considered as part of the report to the Scrutiny Committee for Leisure and Community on 15th September 2015.
This report will be published on the Council website:-
Who is running the exercise?
Mid Sussex District Council Licensing Team
Contact email@example.com phone (01444) 477419.
1Details of libraries and help-points available at www.midsussex.gov.uk/sci
2An Equalities Impact Assessment of the document is currently being carried out, and should this process identify any further targeted consultation which would be necessary, this would be incorporated into the Community Involvement Plan.