Mid Sussex District Council aims to make sport accessible to all members of the community and with its partners, works on a number of disability initiatives.
The Active Sussex website has additional information on disability sport at a county level
Leisure Centre Initiatives
Access All Sport
Places for people is working in partnership with 'Outset volunteers' to run 'Access All Sports' sessions for youngsters with disabilities in East Grinstead. Sessions are delivered by volunteers from local schools and from 6th November 2009 will take place at Kings Centre East Grinstead, 5.30-7pm in the main hall. Access All Sports sessions are free and suitable for youngsters aged 8 and over.
''Working to create opportunities for disabled young people to have access to quality sport, and recreation activities''.
The Triangle in Burgess Hill runs activities for people with disabilities under the banner of SMART - (Sports Mobility and Recreational Time.)
The sessions are multi sport and include activities such as boccia, goalball, table-top games, football, ball games, bouncy castle, trampolining, and art and crafts.
- The Triangle, Burgess Hill - Smart Play & Smart Sport - 01444 876000
- Thursdays from 5.15-6.45pm (8-16 years)
- Saturdays from 2.30-3.30pm (16 years ) including holiday times -Cost: £2.60 per session
- Swim only sessions Mondays and Tuesdays 2-3.30pm (hoist is available for both pools)
- "Top Gear" Mid Sussex YMCA run a Friday evening Multi-sports session for children and young people with Moderate Learning Difficulties please call Phil Carey on 01444 233366
- Olympos Marlins Swimming Club - Starfish
- The Dolphin, Haywards Heath - 01444 457337
- Special needs swimming club - The Seahorses - meet every Tuesday evening between 6.00p.m-7.45p.m. For more information please contact Colin and Veronica Carter on 01444 482842
- Kings Centre East Grinstead - 01342 328616
- Access all sports group - Thursdays 5.30-7pm (11-19 year olds)
- Tadpoles Swimming Club Thursdays 8-9pm
For more information go to the Places for People website.
Where to find out information on local groups and opportunities?
Wellspring West Sussex
Wellspring West Sussex is an independent organisation and registered charity, set up to provide information, dialogue and discussion with and for children and young people with disabilities, and their parents and carers in West Sussex.
English Federation of Disability Sport
The united voice for disability sport in the UK
EFDS is the national body responsible for developing sport for disabled people in England.
They work closely with the following seven National Disability Sports Organisations recognised by Sport England.
British Amputees and Les Autres Sports Association