Development of Affordable Housing (Information for Private Developers)

The Council's Housing Enabling team is responsible for facilitating the development of new affordable housing. The team work with housing associations, developers, landowners and the Homes and Communities Agency to secure sites and funding for new affordable housing. Affordable housing includes rental and shared ownership homes and supported housing for the more vulnerable members of the community.

Affordable housing requirements on new developments

The Council's Local Plan 2004 states that we expect 30% affordable housing on developments of 15 or more dwellings, or on sites larger than 0.5 hectares. This policy continues to apply in most cases.

Generally, of the affordable housing, 75% will be for Social or Affordable rent and 25% will be for shared ownership.   The Council requires serviced land for the affordable housing to be provided at nil cost.  Details of the Council's affordable housing policies can be found in policy H4 of the Local Plan and Clause 2 (Affordable Housing) of the Council's Supplementary Planning Document

Schemes to meet the housing needs of people in rural parishes may be developed as Rural Exception sites where planning permission would not normally be granted for market housing.  Details are provided in Policy H5 of the Local Plan and our rural affordable housing page.

The details for any proposed development should be discussed with the Housing Enabling team before any plans are drafted.

Changes affecting affordable housing requirements

The Draft District Plan includes a new affordable housing policy. Until this is adopted the Local Plan affordable housing policy described above continues to apply. Draft District Plan Policy DP29 Affordable Housing reads as follows:  

"The Council will seek:
  • the provision of a minimum of 30% affordable housing provision for all residential developments providing a net increase of 11 dwellings and above or a maximum combined gross floorspace of more than 1000m2; or
  • for residential developments in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty providing a net increase of 6 – 10 dwellings, a commuted payment towards off-site provision.
A mix of tenure will be required (normally approximately 75% social or affordable rented homes, with the remaining 25% for intermediate homes, unless the best available evidence supports a different mix).
Proposals that do not meet these requirements will be refused unless significant clear evidence is provided to show that the site cannot support the required affordable housing from a viability and deliverability perspective.
Free serviced land should be made available for the affordable housing, which should be integrated with market housing and meet the Design and Quality Standards published by the Homes and Communities Agency or any other such standard which supersedes these."

Failure to comply with the affordable housing policy requirements

Planning permission will not generally be granted on schemes that fail to meet the Council's planning policy requirements, including the requirement for affordable housing. If you believe that this is not financially viable to provide the required level of affordable housing, despite having taken this requirement into account when agreeing the price for the purchase of the site, then you would be expected to support your submission with full financial details of the scheme, including the costs of development and its estimated value. The Council would employ an independent valuer, at the applicant's expense, to evaluate the figures provided and provide the authority with advice about the financial viability of the scheme. 

Housing Associations

Mid Sussex District Council works with a range of housing associations. It is recommended that developers of new affordable housing make early contact with one or more of them to discuss their scheme.

Moat Housing Association
Kim McGregor
Telephone: 0845 359 6441

Clarion Housing
Matthew Beard
Telephone: 01444 883555

Guinness South
Michael Gray
Telephone: 01293 874203

Mark Hanson
Telephone: 07740 423390

Saxon Weald
Stephen Humphreys
Telephone: 01403 226147

Raven Housing Trust
Ema Blay 

Stonewater Housing Association
Marie Riordan
Telephone: 01293 780418

Specialist rural housing providers who work to deliver Rural Exception Sites in Mid Sussex:

Karen Hillhouse
Telephone: 0208 9730438

English Rural
Nick Hughes
Telephone: 01483 563758

Building Control

You may wish to use the services of the Council's Building Control Team for your development. For further information see the Building Control section of our website.

Further Information

For further general information about Affordable Housing Development contact:

Helen Blackith
Housing Enabling Manager
01444 477232