Young People Leaving Care and Those Wanting to Live Independently

You may apply to join the Council's Common Housing Register and then you will be able to bid for a place of your own to rent from a housing association.

The following rented social housing options with support are available to young people in Mid Sussex:

  • Self-contained flats with on site support in Burgess Hill, and 
  • Individual properties in Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath with outreach support provided by the YMCA 
  • A shared house with on site manager in Burgess Hill for young mothers and babies. Provided by Homelife (contact via the Housing Needs Team at Mid Sussex District Council on 01444 477574)

Contact details for the YMCA are email:, tel: 01273 828828

If you have had involvement with or have been accommodated in the past by Children & Young People's Services at West Sussex County Council, they may have a continuing duty to provide you with advice, assistance and in some cases, accommodation.  You can contact WSCC Children & Young People's Services office on 01243 642127. For further information see the West Sussex County Council Connect to Support website.

If you are homeless or likely to become homeless, you should contact the Housing Needs Team at Mid Sussex District Council on 01444 477574.  They will be able to advise you and in some cases arrange mediation for you and your family to try and resolve your housing problem.

Further Information


If you would like more details about any of the above please contact:

Housing Needs Team
01444 477574

Useful websites