Older People With Support Needs

There is a good choice of affordable rented housing specifically provided for older people in Mid Sussex ranging from self contained studio flats to 2 bed flats for couples that need separate bedrooms because of health reasons. Each scheme will have either a designated Scheme Manager or a visiting service to residents. A 24 hour alarm system provides assistance in emergencies.

In addition, there are currently 5 Extra Care Schemes in Mid Sussex located in Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Lindfield and East Grinstead. Home Care staff are available at Extra Care Schemes to provide personal care according to need as assessed by Adult Services at West Sussex County Council.  The aim is to provide an independent home for life so that residents don't have to move into residential care. Please see the Guidance Notes for Extra Care Applicants in Mid Sussex for further information.

See the full list of Sheltered and Extra Care schemes in Mid Sussex, with details of facilities. There are also a range of properties for older people to buy in Mid Sussex. Please contact the individual management company for up to date details of prices. There is more information on the Elderly Accommodation Counsel's website.  Use the following link to access information on both Housing Association and private housing schemes for older people in Mid Sussex: housingcare.org 

For further information and advice on whether sheltered and retirement is right for you, please see the Age UK Retirement (Sheltered) Housing factsheet. Also the Housing Learning and Improvement Network for advice on extra care options.

Help to stay in your home

If you would like to remain in your current home but are physically disabled and experiencing difficulty managing everyday activities, contact OT Connect (01903 839100) to be referred to an Occupational Therapist. An assessment can be done to see whether your home can be adapted to meet your needs.

Where alterations or adaptations to your home have been recommended by an Occupational Therapist, contact the Council's Housing Standards Team (01444 477292) for details about Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG). More information about Housing Grants.

Telecare and Lifeline services can also help you to live independently and stay in your home through a telephone-based alarm system providing rapid response at any time of the day and night.

Housing Support Services

If you need help and support to improve your quality of life, remain independent and stay safe and well at home, or if you need advice and support because your present home is difficult to manage and want to know about the choices available, contact "Here to Help" heretohelp@familymosaic.co.uk (01273 468100) or if you are an Clarion Housing tenant "Assist" midsussexopfs@clarionhg.com (07703 889090). Please see the Here to Help leaflet and the Assist leaflet for further information. 

If you need support to help you manage the day to day running of your home, there are outreach services available.

The Council's Community and Living Team has compiled a comprehensive Community Connections Directory of services available for Older People.

For advice and information about services for older people please see our Services for Older People page.

Further Information


If you would like more details about any of the above please contact:

Housing Enabling Manager
Telephone: 01444 477431
Email: emma.shuttleworth@midsussex.gov.uk

Useful websites