Building Your Own Home - Custom and Self Build Homes
About Custom and Self Build Projects
There are various types of custom build projects, which include:
- Individual custom build – an individual purchases a plot of land and builds a home. They can manage the construction process and build the house themselves or they can employ a builder, architect and project manager etc. who manage the build.
- Group custom build – groups constitute themselves as a body to design and develop a custom build housing development which they then live in. They may build this themselves or with help from a developer to manage the project.
- Developer led build – Developers with large sites divide them into single plots and offer a design and builds service. This give people a chance to customise existing home design to suit their needs and can sometimes offer a chance to finish the house yourself internally.
Further Information on Custom and Self Build
Some external links which provide information and guidance on Custom Self Build are:
- the self build portal a government endorsed self-build site
- the National Custom and Self-Build Association website
- the National Custom and Self-Build Association Toolkit
Different tenures of custom and self build
Custom and self build need not be solely for privately owned housing. Affordable housing may also be developed through low cost home ownership schemes such as shared ownership or affordable rented housing.
Community Land Trusts
Community Land Trusts are non-profit, community based organisations that can develop housing or other assets that meet the need of the community. More information is available from the National Community Land Trust Network and at local level from Action in Rural Sussex.
Registering your interest in Custom and Self Build on-line
We are currently assessing the level and type of demand for custom and self build housing in Mid Sussex. By registering your interest, you will help us to find out more about the level of interest in self build. It will also inform us where people would like their plot to be and the type of house that they would like to build. Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified. Land for custom and self build within the District would be sold at market value, so you will need to consider the level of funding that you have available for the purchase of the land and costs of build.
If you would like to register your interest, please complete the registration form.
If you have any queries about custom and self build, or the registration process please contact Emma Shuttleworth Housing Enabling Manager 01444 477431 firstname.lastname@example.org