Light pollution is a side effect of our industrial society. It comes from sources such as:
- domestic exterior and interior lighting
- commercial properties
- sporting venues
Light pollution has an effect on energy wastage, ecosystems and interference with astronomical observations. Light trespass can effect human health causing fatigue, loss of sleep, headaches and loss of amenity.
Specific categories of light pollution include:
- light trespass which occurs when unwanted light enters a property from a neighbouring property
- over illumination where there is an excessive use of light
- glare resulting in excessive contrast between bright and dark areas in the field of view i.e. directly viewing the filament of an unshielded or badly shielded light
- clutter which refers to excessive groupings of lights and may generate confusion and distract from obstacles intended to be illuminated.
- sky glow which refers to the "glow" effect that can be seen over populated areas
For further information or advice please refer to our Light Pollution leaflet
To register a complaint
If you wish to register a complaint or are seeking advice on light issues that are affecting you please complete our online complaint form
Environmental Protection Team