To help promote better nutrition and increase healthier food choices for consumers, the Council is taking part in the Eat Out Eat Well scheme. Catering establishments, including restaurants, cafes, public houses, staff canteens and school kitchens that make it easier for their customers to make healthy choices when eating out will be eligible for an award. The award symbol is an apple logo in the shape of a heart. There are three levels – Bronze, Silver and Gold. The level of award is based on a scoring system that takes into account the type of food on offer, cooking methods and how the meals are promoted to customers. The scheme benefits both caterers by promoting their businesses and consumers by helping them make healthier choices when eating out. Awards will be displayed in the business premises and publicised on our website and the Eat Out Eat Well in Sussex website.
Take a look at the how the awards can benefit both consumers and businesses.
How the scheme benefit consumers
- Businesses will provide healthier options to customers, through the use of healthier catering practices, increasing fruit, vegetables, and starchy carbohydrates
- Decreased levels of fat, especially saturated fat, sugar and salt in food
- Provision of healthy options for children
- You can visit the award winning restaurants, pubs and cafés and find healthier meal options on the menus for you and your family.
What's in it for businesses?
- You could make a huge contribution to improving your customers' diet and health by providing healthier food choices.
- You'll have public recognition for achieving the award and could enhance your image as a responsible business that puts its customers first. As well as an award certificate that you can proudly display in your premise, your establishment will be listed as an award winner on our website and the Eat Out Eat Well in Sussex website.
- It could give you a competitive edge and increase customer satisfaction as the demand for healthier choices continue to grow – many manufacturers and retailers who have introduced healthier options are seeing growth in sales.
How to Apply
The free award scheme is open to all types of catering establishments. Premises will usually be considered for an award after a satisfactory food hygiene inspection. In addition, the premises may be assessed if requested by the owner. To achieve an award your business will be assessed against criteria that are based on the principles of a healthy balanced diet, such as keeping fat, sugar and salt to a minimum, making fruit and vegetables widely available. You will also be assessed on marketing and promotion of healthier options. To obtain a Gold Award, key members of your staff will additionally need to undertake accredited training in nutrition.
If you are interested in achieving the Eat Out Eat Well Award contact the Food and Safety Team.
Tel: (01444) 477433
For more general information about the scheme please see the Eat Out Eat Well in Sussex website