Garden Waste Collection Service
Garden Waste Collection Service
A service for Mid Sussex residents through which garden waste can be collected from the kerbside.
Garden Waste Collection Service Current Waiting List
The service has proved so popular that we have reached full capacity under our current arrangements with our contractor. We are currently reviewing arrangements, if there continues to be a high demand we hope to be able to expand the service.
A waiting list for the Garden Waste Service has been set up. If you apply for the service your name and address will be entered on a waiting list - please print, complete and return the Garden Waste Service Application form. Applications will be dealt with as soon as a vacancy becomes available in your area, so if you are interested please do apply. If you do apply we can reassure you that direct debit deductions will not commence until we can offer you the service.
In the meantime, if you are able, you can take your garden waste, free of charge, to the Household Waste Recycling Sites at Burgess Hill and East Grinstead where it will also be composted.
Annual subscription charges:
240 litre wheeled bin £60 per year (one lump sum payment each year).
This service costs just over £1 a week, representing good value for money. Your subscription saves many individual car/van journeys to the recycling point. Add to this that you are making a real contribution to looking after the environment and Mid Sussex's consistent recycling rate of around 45%. The Kerbside Garden Waste Collection service ensures this waste stream is disposed of sustainably by diverting it from landfill to a local composting facility.
How does the service work?
- The Council will provide a 240 litre green lidded wheeled bin for your garden waste. Please note we need to recycle bins that are returned to us so your garden bin may not always be new. (Smaller bins for garden waste are only available to customers who were subscribers to garden sacks, which are being discontinued in line with Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspection requirements.)
- The bin will be emptied fortnightly from the edge of your property, at the point nearest the highway (not necessarily on the same day as the household waste and recycling is collected). Collections will not take place over two weeks over Christmas & New Year.
- Only garden waste presented in a green lidded garden bin will be collected.
All garden waste collected is composted at the facility operated by OLUS Environmental in Wineham.
How much does the service cost?
- Wheeled bin - annual fee of £60 per bin (one lump sum payment each year).
- The subscription covers the cost of 25 collections.
- Payment is made by annual Direct Debit, the first payment will be taken once your bin/s have been delivered. You will be notified of payment dates. Paying by Direct Debit is easy for residents and keeps the running costs of the service down; we can accept cheque payments in exceptional circumstances.
The service is available to residents across Mid Sussex. The only exception is where a property has rubbish and recycling waste collected by the Garwood vehicle, in these cases we are sorry, but the garden waste vehicle is too large to access the road.
Collections will take place as usual on Bank Holidays, except over Christmas and New Year. There are no garden waste collections over a two week period at Christmas and New Year. Details are on your calendar. Please note that the time at which your bin is emptied can vary due to crew changes / weather conditions / time of year etc. Please ensure your bin is available for collection from 7am on collection day.
The easiest way to find your garden waste collection day (if you are a current subscriber) is to enter your postcode and address on the Collection Day Information page. You can also find your collection day in your welcome letter or by emailing email@example.com or calling our Customer Contact Centre on 01444 477440
If you know your Collection Day and Zone you can also find your collection day looking at the calendar:
Garden Waste Service Questions & Answers (pdf 854kb) Please refer to this document for the answers to most commonly asked questions about the service.
You may also be interested in:
- Home Composting for details on Home Composting and how to get a compost bin at a subsidised price please go to WSCC Subsidised Compost Bins
- Food Waste Digesters can take all of your food waste including dairy & meat wastes. For details please go to Food Waste Digester page
If you require any further information, please contact
The Waste and Recycling Team on 01444 477440