- certain small detached buildings, agricultural buildings, plant room buildings and some temporary buildings.
- certain extensions such as conservatories, porches, carports (not garages) and covered yards.
Detailed guidance is available on the Planning Portal.
If you are unsure whether or not you need approval under the Regulations, you are advised to check with the area Building Control team. Contact details are available under Contacts at the right of the page.
You should also check with Development Management to see whether your proposal requires planning permission.
Many jobs in the home need to be notified to and approved by the Council unless carried out by an installer who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme. For example:
- Replacement windows and doors
- Electrical work in special locations
- New bathroom installations
- New or replacement boilers
- Extension to central heating systems
Further guidance is contained in the Building work, replacements and repairs to your home leaflet.